480-757-3500    ♦ Arizona Law Firm For Bicyclists ♦ info@bikeguardians.com

Hit-and-Run Accidents

What To Do If It Was a Hit-and-Run Bicycle Accident

If you were hit by a car and the driver didn’t stop, you may still have a case – even if the driver is never found. “Uninsured Motorist” coverage on your own automobile policy will cover you in a hit-and-run accident.
hit and run
Although Uninsured Motorist insurance (“UM”) is an optional insurance coverage, most people have UM coverage and don’t even know it. Typically, UM coverage is available to you through your automobile insurance company, or the insurance policy of a resident relative (that is, someone related to you who lives under the same roof). UM not only covers car accidents, but also usually covers bicycle accidents, as long as the at-fault driver was using an automobile. You can determine the amount of UM coverage you have by reviewing your automobile policy’s “Declarations Page.” If you don’t have your Declarations Page, BikeGuardians can help by obtaining a copy for you, and determine if it covers your bicycle accident.

Occasionally, cyclists are reluctant to use their own insurance coverage, but please remember that you have already paid for this coverage, and your insurance company is not allowed to raise your rates for a UM claim. The accident wasn’t your fault, and the fact that you were in a collision doesn’t make it any more likely that you’ll be in another accident. The law prohibits insurance companies from raising rates because of an accident that wasn’t your fault.

Frequently, insurance adjusters will initially deny a UM claim because they assume that UM coverage does not apply to bicycle accidents. At BikeGuardians, we apply our extensive knowledge of bicycle, automobile, and insurance law to challenge UM denials. By convincing adjusters to accept UM insurance coverage, we are often able to obtain a considerable amount of insurance coverage.